Monday, November 16, 2009

About Me

Education

I attended The University of Western Ontario, where I received my honors degree in Health Sciences with a Specialization in Health Promotion and a minor in Psychology.

I then went on to complete a certificate at Centennial College in Complementary Care. This course consisted of nutrition, aromatherapy, reflexology and cranio-sacral therapy.
Through the Complementary Care course I realized that I was most passionate about preventative health care and nutrition. So I then attended The Institute of Holistic Nutrition where I received my diploma as a certified nutritionist.

My Story

When I was eight years old I was diagnosed with a form of cancer called Ewing's Sarcoma in my left arm. I had to go through numerous surgeries and a year of intense chemotherapy to rid my body of the disease. At the same time as I was receiving my treatment, my mother who is a nurse began to research alternative medicine and started me on series of teas and other drinks.

This was my first experience with alternative medicine and I contribute my survival of cancer to both the allopathic and alternative treatment.
After this experience, I knew I wanted to work in the health care field as possibly a nurse or a doctor and thus went to The University of Western Ontario for Health Sciences. In my final year at Western, they had changed the program so that you could specialize in different areas of health and I choose to focus on Health Promotion.

This small change in my final year marked the beginning of my journey to holistic health. I began to understand that preventative health care is the single most important step in living a healthy life.

I attended Centennial College because the program offered many different modalities and I still was not quite sure of what I wanted to focus on. During the very first nutrition class, I knew this was my calling. I asked my teacher were he received his education and applied to The Institute of Holistic Nutrition the following year.

For the first time, I was surrounded by individuals who's values and beliefs were in line with my own and it felt incredible. I knew without a doubt that this is where I was meant to be and now I am excited to share my knowledge and experiences with others through nutritional counseling.